The Pouchee – The Reusable Food Pouch
The Pouchee – The Reusable Food Pouch.
We love stocking other kiwi brands, and the Pouchee has to be one of our faves! Much like our nappies, the Pouchee is a sustainable, affordable, and easy to use alternative to something otherwise disposable. With the easy interchangeable lids, these will last your kids through years of eating. Here’s a little rundown for you, with some recipe ideas too, to get you as excited as we are about this product!
The Basics – What Is It?
The Pouchee is a BPA free, silicone, reusable food pouch – giving you the freedom to choose exactly what goes into it. Not only do they save disposable pouches ending up in landfill, they save you money too! The benefits don’t end there – they stand up alone so are easy to fill, they are dishwasher safe so super easy to clean, and they are microwave, fridge, and freezer safe making food prep a breeze. Oh, and did I mention they are spill proof? Mess free baby food – I’ll take 10!
Now I mentioned interchangeable lids and lasting your kids through years of eating – here’s how:
The Spoon Attachment is the perfect starting point for starting solids. If you have a little one on the brink of starting some pureed food, this is a great place to start. With this set up, you’re able to create the puree of your choice for your bub, pour it into the pouchee, attach the spoon, and squeeze the food out onto the spoon as you feed. That’s ONE piece of feeding equipment! Even if your bub is well established on pureed food, the pouchee is completely transportable and spill proof – so pop it in your bag for when you’re out and about and never be caught short without a spoon with a hungry baby.
The SoftSip Pouch Topper (8+ months) is the natural next step. We all know those bittersweet moments in parenthood when our babies suddenly want to do something themselves and it seems they don’t need us anymore – feeding themselves is one of those moments! Once bub is growing in confidence and independence in feeding themselves, it’s time to try the SoftSip Lid - this lid just screws onto the Pouchee where the spoon attachment was! It’s made from soft silicone which allows teething babies to chew on it from all angles without damaging the spout. It has an attached easy-for-little-hands cap, however the spout also features a flow controlled valve making it completely spill proof.
- The Screw Cap is most like what you would expect to see on a store bought baby food pouch, perfect for older toddlers who have mastered the Pouchee! A great option for lunchboxes, or a quick and tidy snack in the car!
Now that you know what you’re getting, let’s talk what to put into your Pouchee! Like anything in parenting, starting food can be so overwhelming! If you’re stuck for ideas, there’s no harm in browsing the baby food aisle for inspiration. But the bottom line in – there really are no rules or limits on what you can mix into a delicious snack for your little one!
- Plain Yoghurt with fruit is such a simple, nutritious, and yummy snack for any age. If you’re concerned about sugar content in flavoured yoghurt, why not get plain/unsweetened/greek yoghurt and add your own fruit! Blitz it all up for a no added sugar treat. And remember that the Pouchee is freezer safe, so you could pop a frozen one into a lunchbox for a delicious slushy at lunchtime!
- Use up your overripe bananas with an Easy Banana Berry Smoothie. Blend a couple of bananas with some frozen or fresh berries for the quickest Pouchee snack! Throw in a handful of spinach or half an avocado for an extra nutrient boost.
- Chia Seed Pudding is an incredible powerhouse of nutrients and super easy to make ahead of time! Mix 100mls of chia seeds with 2 cups of milk of your choice (coconut milk works great!), plus a small squirt of maple syrup. Stir well – and immediately! Then pop into the fridge for at least 30 minutes (or overnight!). Try substituting the milk for runny yoghurt or your favourite smoothie mix for a different flavour.
- If you’re looking for something more savoury, try a Broccoli, Potato, and Cheese mix - full of goodness and super yummy without the sweetness! Blitz a large (cooked!) potato, a cup of steamed broccoli, and 2Tb of cheddar cheese together for a nutritious and easy meal for your new-to-solids little one. The Pouchee is microwave safe so something like this can definitely be served warm if you wish. Try substituting the potato for kumara, or adding a bit of cauliflower for variety.
The joy is that you can literally pop almost anything into a Pouchee, so the sky really is the limit! Let your creative juices flow and let us know if you come up with something awesome!